Brush that detangles hair
The Manta is a detangler brush designed & invented by a British hairdresser, Tim Binnington. His wife had a life-threatening illness, and she wanted a brush that was gentle and delicate with her hair when it was growing back after her treatment. She found traditional hairbrushes were too stiff and damaging and so would brush her hair just using her fingers. He set about inventing a brush that would be as gentle as running your fingers through your hair.
Why have a detangling hairbrush? As anyone with longer hair knows, once it tangles it can be difficult and painful to untangle it. What’s worse than that is trying to detangle with a conventional brush can lead to real hair structure damage and significantly increase the risk of split ends. Pulling a brush through tangled hair can put enough force into the hair to pull the cuticle off resulting in your hair becoming more porous. It can also break the keratin structures in your hair making it weaker and more prone to breakage. Both of these can result in split ends.
The Manta is different as each of the soft bristles sit on their own individual base and so are able to move in a complete 360 degree motion, this allows minimal breakage on the hair.
For very knotty hair, we recommend you use the Manta brush to detangle your hair before washing it, then comb through once again with your conditioner.
Here is our Salon Director and curly hair specialist Kate:
“Having worked with Manta brush for a long time, I have found it to be the best brush to work with Type 3 and type 4 coily, afro textured hair. If you follow the Curly Girl Method this will advise not to comb or brush your hair. However, I use a Manta brush to comb through and to style type 3 & type 4 curls and I highly recommend it.
How to use:
Slide your hand into the comfortable handle and detangle knots from the ends up to the roots. It is ideal to section your hair, especially if you have medium to thick hair.
Hair is most delicate when wet, so we recommend to use a product in your hair when detangling, either a conditioner to detangle in the shower, or a leave-in detangling spray when out of the shower. We recommend you use Manta brush with Eleven Australia Hydrate My Hair Conditioner in the shower OR Eleven Australia Detangle My Hair leave in spray out of the shower
On curly hair:
- On very wet hair, take one inch sections starting from the back (if the root area has started to dry, apply more water)
- Apply your curl cream or curl gel, comb through from roots to ends with the Manta brush and then scrunch
- Continue throughout your hair, then leave to dry naturally or dry with a diffuser. The results are fantastic!
On wet hair:
- Manta brush can be used when shampooing to gentle exfoliate the scalp
- On wet hair, with conditioner to evenly spread the conditioner and detangle in a safe way
On dry hair:
- Manta brush can be used on dry hair to comb through and add shine (the pouch is perfect if you wish to keep one in your handbag)
- You can use Manta brush to blow dry your hair too (although we feel there may be more appropriate brushes, depending on the style you require)